This is a dish I had eaten a number of times in Italy but have never made at home myself until just recently. Calamari is best cooked either very quickly, such as deep fried calamari, or long and slow as in this dish. Anything in between can lead to calamari with the unpleasant texture of tough bubble gum.
You could use any greens you prefer in this dish in place of the spinach I used in the photo, such as swiss chard, escarole, dandelions, or even broccoli rabe. I actually feel I added the spinach too soon causing it to almost disintegrate, so in the recipe instructions I am adding the greens in a little later. This dish would make a nice appetizer, or could also be a delicious entree depending on the serving size. Be sure to serve with some good crusty bread to sop up the delicious juices!
Deborah Mele 2011
- 1 1/2 Pounds Fresh Squid
- 1 Pound Fresh, Cleaned, Chopped Greens (See Note Above)
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Minced
- 1 Onion, Peeled & Diced
- 1 Carrot, Diced
- 2 Celery Stalks, Diced
- 1 Small Red Chile (or Dried Red Chiles)
- 1/2 Cup White Wine
- 1 (14 oz) Can Chopped Tomatoes
- Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Clean the squid by removing the skeleton running down the back and anything left inside the tube, and cut the tube into 1 inch rings.
- Cut the hard area from the tentacles, and if large, cut in half.
- Rinse all the squid pieces in water.
- In a large heavy saute pan, heat the oil and add the onion, carrots, and celery.
- Cook until almost tender, and add the calamari, garlic and chile and cook an additional minute or two.
- Add the wine, and continue to cook over medium heat until the wine has almost completely absorbed.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Continue to cook the squid for 30 to 35 more minutes, adding the chopped greens in the last 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Spoon into individual servings bowls and offer slices of crusty bread when serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 264mgSodium: 179mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 21g