Pasta With Onions, Gorgonzola Cheese & Walnuts
I recently used this combination to top a pizza and it was delicious. Thinking about the flavor combination a few days later, I decided it would also work really well on pasta, and put together this quick and tasty recipe. Although it may seem a strange combination, the gorgonzola and sweet sauteed onions balance each other nicely, and the toasted walnuts add a nice, unexpected texture to the dish. I wouldn’t use a very soft gorgonzola in this recipe as it would melt right into the hot pasta, while a firmer type you can crumble works much better. I used a whole wheat penne pasta in my photo but you could use just about any short pasta you prefer.
Another ingredient that would work well in this dish is sausage; removed from the casing , crumbled and browned. If you are worried about tipping the fat count over the top by adding the sausage, an Italian style turkey sausage could be used in place of the usual pork. To toast the walnuts, simply place them on a baking sheet in a 350 degree preheated oven for 5 to 7 minutes.
Deborah Mele 2011
Pasta With Onions, Gorgonzola Cheese And Walnuts
Caramelized onions, flavored with balsamic vinegar, are mixed with gorgonzola cheese and walnuts in this pasta dish.
- 2 Large Onions, Peeled
- 6 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled, And Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 Ounces Firm Gorgonzola Cheese, Crumbled
- 3 - 4 Tablespoons Fresh, Chopped Parsley
- 1 Cup Coarsely Chopped Walnuts
- Salt & Pepper
- Additional 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3/4 Pound Short Pasta Such As Penne, Rigatoni, or Fusili
- Cut the onions in half, and then cut into wedges.
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan and cook the onions until they are softened and are beginning to brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional minute or two.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta until it is al dente, and drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Return the pasta to the pot and add the additional oil and onions, mix well.
- If the pasta seems a little dry add a little hot pasta water.
- Add the crumbled cheese, chopped parsley, and walnuts and toss briefly.
- Serve piping hot.