I know I may be a little heavy with the fava bean recipes lately but they are only in season for such a short period of time that I feel like I need to buy them every time I see them. Add to that fact that I really love these tender green little guys and I just can’t imagine getting tired of them and you can understand my desire to keep coming up with new fava bean recipes. This dish was one I have been thinking about for a while but just recently finally got around to making. This is one recipe where you really do need to skin the fava beans as well as simply shelling them from their pods so it is a little time consuming, but the effort is well worth it once you taste the final dish. This would be a great side dish for any roasted, braised or grilled meats.
To prepare the fava beans, first remove them from their pods. Next boil the beans for about 5 minutes. Drain, cool, and then using a sharp knife cut a slit into the skin and gently squeeze with your fingers to pop the bean out.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 4 Cups Chopped Fresh Mushrooms
- 4 Cups Cleaned Fava Beans, Skinned (See Note Above)
- 1 Small Onion, Diced (About 1 Cup)
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Minced
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Pancetta
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt And Cracked Black Pepper
- In a heavy frying pan heat the oil and cook the onions, pancetta, and mushrooms until the vegetables are soft and everything is beginning to brown, about 12 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional couple of minutes.
- Add the fava beans and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for another 5 minutes stirring every few minutes.
- Serve either warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 377mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 9gSugar: 5gProtein: 12g