I love zucchini flowers but have not been able to get my hands on any until we came back here to Umbria. They actually sell them in the grocery stores here along with all the other “regular” vegetables so I can buy them any time I choose which I am embarrassed to say makes me very happy! I guess you have to be a foodie to appreciate the little treasures in life like getting your hands on REAL porcini mushrooms, fresh truffles, and delicate, sweet zucchini flowers any time you want.
I like these flowers stuffed and baked, stuffed and sauteed in tomato sauce, stuffed and deep fried, or simply lightly battered and fried as I did in this recipe. Basically, I guess I am saying I like zucchini flowers just about anyway you can prepare them, but this simple method is one of my favorite ways to cook zucchini flowers. Although deep fried, they are very light, so make sure you have plenty because you really cannot eat just one!
- 16 Zucchini Flowers
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Cold Water
- 1 Cup All-purpose Flour
- Salt & Pepper
- Oil For Frying
- Prepare the zucchini flowers by cutting off their stems leaving only about an inch.
- Gently open the flowers and remove the stamen.
- Heat the oil to 375 degrees F.
- Mix together the flour, water, and eggs with a whisk until completely blended.
- Once your oil has reached the correct temperature, carefully dip the flower into the batter coating it completely and let the excess drip off.
- Drop the flower into the oil and cook about 1 minute each side until golden brown.
- Place the fried flower on a paper towel lined plate and continue to cook the rest of the flowers in the same manner.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 flowers
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 311Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 138mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 10gSugar: 15gProtein: 16g