We love our greens in my family and would eat them daily whether they are added to a frittata at breakfast, in a panini at lunch, or simply sauteed with olive oil, garlic, and hot pepper and enjoyed as a side dish at dinner. This torta, or savory tart, is just one more way to enjoy greens. I often will have a slice as a snack mid afternoon, although it does make a great light lunch option along with a crisp green salad.
Bietola, or chard, is the one green we can get year round here in Italy, but you could substitute spinach, mustard greens, or broccoli rabe if you wanted to. The pastry used is simply a basic pie, or tart crust that you use free form for a more rustic appearance. I am including my recipe for crust, although you could use a grocery store prepared pastry dough for this tart as well.
Spoon The Greens Onto The Center Of The Pastry
Fold Pastry Over The Greens Pinching To Fit
- 1 1/4 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 Stick (8 Tablespoons) Unsalted Cold Butter Cut Into 1/2 Inch Cubes
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 to 4 Tablespoons Ice Water
- 2 1/2 Cups Sauteed & Chopped Bietola (Chard Leaves) ~ About 8 Large Leaves
- 1 Small Potato
- 1/2 Cup Diced Pancetta (Or 3 to 4 Strips Of Bacon, Chopped)
- 1 Small Onion, Peeled And Finely Chopped
- 2 Medium Eggs, Lightly Beaten
- 3/4 Cup Ricotta Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- 1/2 Cup Grated Pecorino Cheese
- 1 Beaten Egg With 1 Teaspoon Water
- For the pastry, in a food processor mix the flour and salt, then add the butter and pulse just until the mixture comes together in pea sized pieces.
- Add 1 tablespoon ice water at a time until the mixture comes together as a dough.
- Remove from the food processor and shape into a disc.
- Sprinkle both sides with flour, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle lightly with flour and use a rolling pin to roll out to a 14 inch circle about 1/8th of an inch thick.
- For the tart, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel the potato and cut into 1 inch pieces, then cook in boiling salted water until fork tender, and drain.
- In a frying pan, cook up the pancetta or bacon until light brown, then add the onion and cook until it is translucent and soft.
- Add the potato to the pan and season everything with the salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook until the potato just begins to brown.
- In a bowl, mix together the cooked greens, eggs, ricotta, and grated cheese.
- Mix well and then fold in the pancetta potato mixture.
- Place your 14 inch round pie crust on a lightly greased baking sheet and spoon the greens into the center.
- Smooth with a spoon, leave a 4 inch border all around, and fold the outer edges of the pie crust over the greens, pinching it in places to make it fit.
- Brush exposed edges of the pie crust with the egg wash and bake in the preheated over for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 457Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 159mgSodium: 642mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 16g