Although no one would ever call this recipe traditional Italian, I found all of the ingredients to make it in my small local grocery store here in Umbria so it COULD be Italian! I was surprised when we moved in and started to grocery shop to see such things as peanut butter, maple syrup, cream cheese and chocolate chips in an Italian grocery store which they never had the last time we lived here. When you live both in Italy and North America it becomes difficult when you cannot get the ingredients to make your favorite recipes.
This is a simple pound cake, the kind my Mother would make while I was growing up although the addition of the cream cheese really creates a wonderful moist cake. I used mini chocolate chips in my cake as I like the way it looks better than large blobs of chocolate but any sized chips would work fine.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 1 (8 Ounce or 225 grams) Package Of Cream Cheese
- 3/4 Cup (175 grams) Unsalted Softened Butter
- 1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 4 Eggs At Room Temperature
- 2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- Dash of Salt
- 1 1/2 - 2 Cups Miniature Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Butter and lightly flour a medium sized bundt pan.
- Mix together the flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese with an electric hand mixer.
- Add the sugar and mix for about 3 minutes until light.
- Add the vanilla extract and then the eggs one at a time mixing between each.
- Add the flour mixture and continue to mix on low just until combined.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool before cutting.