This recipe can be used as a light luncheon dish, an appetizer before dinner, or as party food when tiny cherry tomatoes are used. The bright contrast between the red tomatoes and green sauce is very pretty too! Use very ripe but firm tomatoes for the best results.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 1 Slice White Bread, Crusts Removed
- 2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Cups Fresh Parsley, Washed & Dried
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Peeled
- 2 Anchovy Fillets (Optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Capers
- 1 Small Can Tuna Packed In Oil, Drained
- 6 Small Gherkin Pickles, Drained
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 Medium Ripe Tomatoes, Or 12 to 16 Cherry Tomatoes
- In a food processor, combine the bread torn into pieces, the garlic, vinegar, anchovies, capers, parsley, tuna, pickles and olive oil.
- Pulse briefly until the mixture is chopped finely, but is not completely smooth, then refrigerate at least one hour.
- Wash and dry the tomatoes.
- If using large tomatoes, slice them in half, and remove the pulp and seeds.
- For the cherry tomatoes, slice off a little at the core end and use a small spoon to scoop out the center.
- Place the tomatoes cut side down on paper towels to drain for 30 minutes.
- Arrange the tomatoes on a serving platter, and fill with the green sauce. Serve.