I love scalloped potatoes and enjoy adding different ingredients to create new versions like this potato, mushroom and goat cheese dish which is creamy on the inside with a crispy cheese top crust. This dish is delicious with roasted or grilled meat and actually reheats well the following day. I added pancetta to this dish as well which created a really hearty flavor but you could leave the pancetta out if you prefer.
Potato Casserole Ready For The Oven
Deborah Mele 2011
- 6 Ounces Chopped Pancetta
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Pound Baby Bella (Or Portabella) Mushrooms, Sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- 1 to 1/2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Whipping Cream
- 10 Ounces Goat Cheese (Soft, Creamy Variety)
- 1/3 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 3/4 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, Peeled & Thinly Sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly oil an appropriate sized casserole or baking dish (a 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish works fine).
- In a heavy frying pan, cook the pancetta until lightly browned.
- Drain the pan of fat and place on paper towels.
- Heat the butter until sizzling, and then add mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are brown, about 10 minutes, and stir in garlic, then flour.
- Gradually stir milk and cream into mushroom mixture.
- Simmer over medium heat until sauce thickens slightly, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add half of goat cheese, 1/3 cup Parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Stir until goat cheese melts, about 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- Mix potatoes and mushroom mixture in large bowl.
- Add most of the pancetta, setting aside a couple of tablespoons for the top.
- Transfer to your prepared baking dish.
- Top the potatoes with the remaining goat cheese, pancetta and 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Cover the casserole with a lid or aluminum foil and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Uncover the casserole and continue to cook until vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476 Total Fat: 34g Saturated Fat: 19g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 76mg Sodium: 708mg Carbohydrates: 31g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 4g Protein: 15g