One of my favorite vegetables of the summer season are beans, whether they be fresh shelling beans, regular every day green or yellow beans, or these big fat, tender Romano beans. On our recent trip to the outdoor market in Deruta, one of my favorite vendors had a huge case of lovely fresh Romano beans and I just couldn’t resist buying a bag full. I like to first blanch my beans until they are tender crisp, and then sauté them together with seasoned oil and spices. We had recently bought a jar of homemade sun-dried tomatoes from Campagna that I decided to put to good use to flavor these beans and added some hot pepper to keep my husband happy. The tomatoes had a few odd capers mixed into the jar, and I added an additional tablespoon of salted capers that I first rinsed off well. I also added three cloves of garlic thinly sliced, two finely chopped red hot peppers, extra virgin olive oil and sea salt and cracked black pepper. We love beans prepared this way as a side dish, or even for lunch the following day.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 1 Pound Romano Beans
- 6 to 7 Sun-Dried Tomatoes Packed In Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Salted Capers, Rinsed Well
- 2 Small Hot Red Peppers, Finely Chopped (Optional)
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Peeled & Thinly Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Wash and trim the ends off of the beans, then slice in half.
- Boil the beans until they are tender crisp.
- Drain, then add the oil, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, hot pepper, salt and pepper to the pot and heat until sizzling but be careful not let the garlic burn.
- Add the drained beans and stir to coat with the oil mixture, then continue to cook for a couple of minutes stirring continuously until the beans have been flavored with the oil mixture.
- Put the beans into a bowl or platter and let come to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 436 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 79mg Sodium: 1371mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 6g Protein: 27g