When we have guests staying at our rental farmhouse, we offer a complimentary Umbrian wine tasting with appetizers. We usually serve three types of wine, and I create at least two appetizers to go with each wine. I now have a fair number of different appetizers that I make and I’m always trying out new ones to keep things interesting. When serving food with wines, I like to try and keep the appetizers bite sized and stuffed mushrooms are a great option. I have made stuffed mushrooms in many different ways, but I like the simple breadcrumb topping best. At times though, I find the mushrooms are just a bit dry when prepared this way so I decided to remedy this by putting a little creamy seasoned ricotta cheese into the cap before I add the crumb mixture. This method works really well and the ricotta is a nice surprise when you bite into the mushroom.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 12 Medium Sized Button Mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Pancetta or Bacon
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Onion, Finely Diced
- 1 Large Garlic clove, Peeled & Finely Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1/4 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 3 Tablespoons White Wine
- 3 Tablespoons Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
For The Ricotta Mixture & Baking the Mushrooms:
- 1/2 Cup Ricotta Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Wipe the mushrooms clean, and pop out the stems.
- Finely dice 1/3 cup of the mushroom stems.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil and cook the onion, chopped mushroom stems and pancetta until the vegetables are softened and the pancetta lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook another minute or two.
- Remove from the heat and add the parsley, breadcrumbs, and grated cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper and moisten with the wine.
- Season the ricotta with salt and pepper.
- Place the mushrooms in a baking dish and using a spoon fill each with about a teaspoonful of cheese.
- Top the cheese with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing lightly with your fingers to help it adhere.
- Drizzle the filled mushroom caps with the remaining olive oil, and bake for about 25 minutes or until the mushroom is softened and the topping lightly browned.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 caps
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 302mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g