A good, basic recipe for making your own pizza dough at home, and this dough freezes well too! If you make it ahead of time as I do, all you need to do is defrost it the day you plan to make pizza. We usually make 8 individuals balls of dough which gives everyone their own choice of toppings for their personal sized pizzas.
The dough may be kept in the refrigerator over night, in a well oiled pan, brushed with oil, and covered with plastic wrap. To use, remove and let warm to room temperature, and then form into pizzas as desired.
Special Tip: To quickly warm refrigerated dough; place in a microwave-proof bowl, cover with plastic wrap with several holes poked in, and microwave on “defrost” for two minutes. To defrost a ball of frozen dough; Microwave on “defrost” one to two minutes, let rest five minutes, then defrost for another minute. Let rest another five minutes then knead and squeeze to soften any lumps; let rest to come to room temperature.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 2 Pkgs. Dry-Active Yeast
- 2 Cups Warm Water - Body Temperature
- 7 Cups Flour, All-Purpose
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Stir yeast into 1/2 warm water, mixing completely.
- Blend in 1 cup of flour, mixing well, and then cover bowl and let rise in warm place for half an hour or so or till the starter is full of bubbles.
- Stir the salt into the remaining flour, mix well, and add to the starter.
- Pour in all but 1/4 cup of the water, and start beating by machine at slow speed and gradually increase to medium, or mix completely by hand.
- Knead for a good 5 minutes, adding additional drops of water till as needed till the dough is smooth.
- When it forms a smooth ball that includes all the flour from the sides of the bowl, transfer to a floured board and knead several times till smooth and elastic, and holds it's shape when bent back and forth between your hands.
- Form dough into a ball, dust with flour, and place in a lightly floured bowl.
- Cover and let rise till doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. To finish the dough, turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
- You may now use it by either forming into 8 individual pizzas, or divide it into 4 pieces, making one pizza for two and freezing the rest into 3 remaining balls, well wrapped.