This is a good basic stock to keep in the freezer to use as a base for other soups, as a flavor base for sauces, or to use on it’s own. All the babies in our family were brought up with Pastina in Brodo, and one of my family’s favorite soups is Tortellini in Brodo. By having a good homemade stock on hand you can put together a meal in mere minutes. I make this broth every other week or so and freeze it in 2 cup sized containers to use when needed. Simmer it slowly to prevent cloudiness. To create a richer, darker broth, you can also roast the chicken in pieces in the oven first before simmering.
Deborah Mele 2011
- Small Stewing Chicken (Or Equivalent In Chicken Pieces, About 2 to 3 Pounds)
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 3 Stalks Of Celery, Cut Into 2 Inch Pieces
- 3 Carrots, Peeled And Cut Into 2 Inch Pieces
- 1 Medium Onion, Coarsely Chopped
- 1 Tomato, Quartered
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley Leaves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot, just cover with water and simmer on low for about 3 hours.
- Periodically, as the soup simmers, skim off the foam with a ladle.
- Drain the broth from the other ingredients, and strain the broth through cheesecloth.
- Taste, and season with more salt and pepper as needed. Use as desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 59Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g