This spread is great for toasted garlic bread, and depending on whether you use either black or green olives, you get a completely different taste. I sometimes like to leave the olive spread a little coarser in texture, while other times, depending on what I want to use it for, I prefer a smooth texture for the olives. This paste, also called olive tapenade, can be used in so many dishes to add additional flavor that I often keep a jar on hand in my refrigerator.
- 3 Cups Black Olives Pitted (Gaeta, or Kalamata are good)
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 (5 oz.) Jars Pitted Green Olives
- 2 Tablespoons Toasted Blanched Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- Black Olives - Process together the olives and oil until you have a smooth paste.
- Store in a jar with a tightly fitted lid in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks. (I always add a little layer of additional oil in the jar, to keep the top of the olive spread moist.)
- Serve at room temperature with good, crusty Italian bread.
- Green Olives - Drain the olives and combine with the rest of the ingredients and process until you have a coarse puree.
- Store in the refrigerator in a tightly closed jar with a little additional oil added on top to retain the color.
- Bring to room temperature before using.
- Serve with good, crusty Italian bread.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 426mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g