I make a number of different types of cookies every Christmas as it seems that every member of my family has their own favorite cookie. Personally, I prefer simple cookies like this one, as for me, there is nothing as delicious and satisfying as a basic nut cookie made simply with butter, sugar and flour. These cookies use toasted hazelnuts which are finely ground, mixed with the other ingredients, and then the cookies are shaped into half moons. Even though they are rolled in sugar before they are baked, these cookies are not too sweet and have a rich hazelnut flavor.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 1 Cup Hazelnuts
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 Pound (2 Sticks) Of Unsalted, Softened Butter
- Extra Sugar For Shaping
- To prepare the hazelnuts, toast them in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven leaving the temperature set at 350 degrees and place them in a kitchen towel.
- Rubbing the towel between both hands, rub the nuts together to remove the skins.
- Place the nuts and sugar in a food processor, and pulse until the nuts are finely ground.
- Add the flour and pulse briefly to mix, then add the butter to the food processor and pulse briefly until the dough is just blended.
- On a lightly floured surface, pinch off 1 inch pieces and form into balls, then shape the balls into a crescent shape.
- Roll the crescents carefully into a bowl of sugar to lightly coat.
- Place the crescents on a lightly buttered baking sheet 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cookies just begin to brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool, store in an airtight container.
- These cookies will keep two weeks in a cool place, but if you need to store them longer, place in the freezer in an airtight container for up to three months.
- Allow to cool completely, and store in airtight containers.