I really enjoy cranberries, and since they are not available year round, I often buy a few bags and store them in my freezer for later when fresh ones are no longer available. In Italy, cranberries are non-existant, at least anywhere I’ve looked in central Italy. Having just said that, I must say that I did find some dried cranberries being sold in a budget grocery store in Umbria under the label of Mirtilli Americano (American Blueberries) but I’ve yet to see fresh cranberries there. Who knows though, since we have so many “American” products available in Italy now, maybe fresh cranberries are next?
The tart flavor of cranberries works so well in sauces, chutneys, or relishes that I love to make sweet and savory condiments using cranberries for many different types of meat. This relish or sauce has a few spices added in with the cranberries along with some orange which in my mind is a perfect partner for cranberries. Although this is my “go to” relish to serve with roast turkey, it goes equally well with duck, or any type of roast pork. This sauce comes together quickly, is easy to assemble, and even freezes well if you want to double the batch and save some for later.
To use the flesh from the orange, after removing the zest, peel the orange and then cut into quarters. Remove any seeds and large membranes, then coarsely chop the orange flesh.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1 (12 Ounce) Bag Fresh Cranberries
- 1 Tablespoon Orange Zest
- Flesh From 1 Orange (See Notes)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoons Fresh Grated Ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon Grated Nutmeg
- Bring the water, sugar, orange zest and spices to a boil in a saucepan over medium high heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the cranberries and orange flesh and return to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cook until at least 2/3 of the berries have popped open and the sauce has thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and let sit at room temperature for at last an hour before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 113Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 0g