The name biscotti can be translated as twice cooked which indeed describes how these tasty cookies are made. By baking them twice, they lose any excess moisture, which ensures a crisp, dry cookie perfect for dipping. You can read more about baking biscotti in my post The Ever Popular Biscotti.
Baking biscotti is on my “to do” list at least a couple of times a month as we have a large ceramic biscotti jar on my counter that I try and keep filled. Biscotti are great, not too sweet cookies that have lots of crunch. This particular biscotti has no added fat, using eggs as the only liquid making them great cookies that are perfect for dipping into sweet wine after dinner, or into a frothy cappuccino for breakfast. I flavored these cookies with anise seeds and lemon an left out nuts for a change. If you prefer, you could add a cup of blanched whole almonds into the dough.
Deborah Mele 2012
- 2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Grated Lemon Zest
- 1 Tablespoon Anise Seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate owl whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and thick, then add the extract, zest, and anise seeds.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and stir until mixed.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for a minute until smooth.
- Shape the dough into a log about 3 inches wide and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the top is firm to the touch.
- Remove the pan from the oven and reduce the heat to 325 degrees F.
- After 10 minutes, using a serrated knife, cut the log into slices about 3/8 of and inch wide and lay the slices flat on the baking sheet side by side.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes more, turning over halfway until very light brown. (The cookies will crisp up as they cool)
- Cool and store in an airtight container.