Although my family loves just about any vegetable you could mention, we do have our favorites and beets are certainly one of them. There is just something magical that happens to a simple beet once it is roasted and all the natural sugars become caramelized.
Although we love beets, for some reason, I have not roasted beets once since we returned from Umbria last fall. That changed this weekend after I visited our local fame’s market, and I found a large basket of gorgeous beets on display. My favorite ways to serve beets is to roast them first, then peel them, and then to drizzle them with a flavored dressing such as this tasty orange juice, balsamic vinegar, and anise seed reduction.
- 1 Pound Small Beets
- 1 Cup Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Anise Seeds
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- Fresh Chopped Parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the beets in a casserole and cover with foil and bake until fork tender about 45 minutes.
- While the beets are cooling, heat the orange juice, vinegar, anise seeds, sugar, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cook the orange juice mixture until reduced to just a couple of tablespoons, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Once cool, peel the beets and arrange on a platter.
- Drizzle the reduced orange juice mixture on top, garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 slices
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 98Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 166mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 18gProtein: 2g