Cannoli Siciliana ~ Cannoli are basically crisp, sweet crunchy tubes which are filled with a cream or ricotta cheese filling, often flavored with cocoa, nuts, chocolate, or candied fruits. This is a very traditional recipe for cannoli which are a very popular sweet in Sicily.
You will need 3 to 4 metal cannoli tubes to makes these cannoli which are readily available at most kitchen stores. Do not fill the cannoli too far in advance, or they may become soggy. I often add a little chocolate to my filling, but I also like to use a simpler filling of sweetened ricotta flavored just with lemon or orange rind. To finish your cannoli, you can decorate the ends with chopped pistachios or mini chocolate chips.
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter Or Shortening
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- Dash of Salt
- 3/4 Cup Marsala Wine
- 1 Egg White
- Vegetable Oil For Frying
- 3 Cups Full Fat Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
Optional Filling Ingredients:
- 1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips, or Coarsely Grated Chocolate
- 6 Tablespoons Mixed Candied Peel
To Garnish Ends:
- Mini Chocolate Chips or
- Chopped Pistachios
- To make the shells, mix together the flour, butter or shortening, sugar, and salt.
- Begin to add the wine, adding enough so that you have formed a fairly firm dough.
- Knead for a few minutes until smooth, then form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and let sit at room temperature for one hour.
- Cut the dough in half, and roll thinly to about a 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut into 4 square, and place a metal diagonally across each square, and wrap the dough around the tube.
- Seal the edges with a little beaten egg white.
- Heat the oil in a large pan until it reaches a temperature of 375 degrees F.
- Drop one or two tubes into the hot oil at one time, and cook until golden.
- Remove from the pan, cool, and gently slide the cannoli shell from the tube.
- Continue to make the rest of the shells in this manner.
- To make the filling, first let the ricotta sit in a strainer over a small bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to remove excess water.
- Mix the ricotta with the rest of the ingredients.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Fill each cannoli shell carefully, and sprinkle with a little extra powdered sugar if desired.
- Decorate ends of cannoli if desired with mini chocolate chips or chopped pistachios.
- Chill until you are ready to serve.