Crispy Roasted Potato Spirals
I honestly think when it comes to potatoes that there is nothing as delicious as perfectly roasted potatoes that are golden brown and crispy on the outside and creamy, soft inside. When I came across this roasted potato dish from Martha Stewart I just knew I had to try it and the potatoes tasted just as good as they looked. I’ve made this dish twice to date, first following the recipes exactly as stated, and the second time I made a couple of changes which are shown below. The original recipe used thinly sliced shallots wedged between some of the potato slices and I also added thinly sliced garlic. I also used rosemary in place of the thyme as I think rosemary and potatoes together are a match made in heaven.
Deborah Mele 2012
Roasted Potato Spiral
Crisp, golden brown potato slices seasoned with rosemary.
- 4 Pounds Russet Potatoes, Peeled
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- 4 Medium Sized shallots, Peeled & Thinly Sliced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Thinly Sliced
- Coarse Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- 3 Teaspoons Chopped Fresh Rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix together the butter and olive oil and use a little to lightly grease the bottom of a round 9 inch oven-safe dish.
- Use a mandoline, or a very sharp knife, and cut the potatoes into very then slices crosswise. (Try and keep the slices together to make it easier to assemble the dish)
- Arrange the slices in the dish as pictured, then wedge some of the shallots, garlic slices, and chopped rosemary between some of the potato wedges throughout the dish.
- Brush the dish with the remaining butter and olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle any remaining rosemary on top, and bake for about 1 1/2 hours or until the potatoes are golden brown but tender when pierced with a fork.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 189mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 8gSugar: 6gProtein: 9g
I think that your substitutions are right on the money – this sounds wonderful!
Like the substitution of the rosemary, as I do not like thyme. Can’t wait to try this!
I made this wonderful Potato dish for Easter and it was a big success. Everyone raved
about it and it tasted so good. Thanks for the recipe.
Thanks Connie, glad you enjoyed it!
Loved this. So pretty and so tasty. Thanks to the mandolin it’s not nearly as difficult as it looks. Followed the exact recipe but may add Parmesan next time.
Should this be baked covered or uncovered?
Can this be made in the morning and reheated before serving? Or is it best to make right before serving?
I would make it right before serving.
Hi! I want to cook this in the oven while roasting a chicken. Will the potato recipe succeed as well if cooked at 350 instead of 375?
It will be fine.