I am always on the lookout for new ideas of things I can prepare for our guests during our wine tasting evenings here in Umbria as I tend to get bored making the same thing over and over and love trying out new recipes. Recently, my husband and I dined out at Villa Selva, a great country house just minutes from our farmhouse that serves wonderful meals.
One of the appetizers we were served that evening was this Stromboli like item that was bread rolled around cured meat and cheese before baking. It was really delicious and the next week I set out to create my own version.
This is such a great stuffed bread dish that can be varied depending on your taste. I used mortadella and a local salami along with some young pecrino cheese, but really any cured meat or semi soft cheese you prefer would work just fine. This stuffed bread or Stromboli is a great idea for summer entertaining, or even to pack and take on a picnic.
You can make your own pizza dough, or feel free to buy store bought pizza dough to simplify things if you prefer. Optionally, you could scatter sesame seeds or poppy seeds on top of the prepared rolls before baking after they have been brushed with the beaten egg.
- 2 (1 Pound Each) Pizza Dough Balls
- 1/2 Pound Thinly Sliced Salami
- 1/2 Pound Thinly Sliced Mortadella (Or Ham)
- 3/4 Pound Thinly Sliced, or Cubed Semi-Soft Cheese Such As Pecorino or Asiago
- 1 Egg Lightly Beaten With 1 Tablespoon Water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and lightly grease two baking sheets.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one of the dough balls to a 15 x 12 inch rectangle.
- Use half the meat and cheese, and cover the dough rectangle, leaving a 1/2 inch border.
- Roll the dough up into a roll, leaving seam at the bottom, and pinching the ends closed.
- Place the prepared dough roll on one of the baking sheets, then complete the other in the same manner.
- Brush the rolls with the beaten egg mixture, and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 373Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 868mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 17g