Fall has finally arrived, and I am thoroughly enjoying the ability to use the new fall fruits and vegetables now available to me in our local markets here in Umbria. As the temperatures begin to drop, I also start preparing heartier dishes, and make more soups, stews and meaty pasta sauces, and move away from the lighter fare we enjoyed during the summer months. For our latest wine tastings with our farmhouse guests, I have been making this easy bruschetta recipe which everyone has enjoyed, and we serve it with a full bodied Sagrantino di Montefalco wine which pairs well with meat and cheese. Melted cheese and sausage bruschetta may be too heavy for the hot summer months, but are perfect for cooler fall and winter evenings.
For my bruschetta, I use a sheep’s milk caciotta cheese, but any mild flavored, semi-firm, melting cheese such as fontina or Gruyere would work well. These bruschetta would be great option as a starter for a fall menu when entertaining, or as party nibbles along with a few other appetizers. Want to bring Umbria into your kitchen? Add shaved black truffles, a drizzle of black truffle paste or truffle oil on top!
Deborah Mele 2013
- 2 Mild Italian Sausage Links Removed From Casings
- 1 Crusty Baguette Bread, Cut Into 12 Slices
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Caciotta Cheese (Or Substitute - See Notes Above)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Sage
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat oven broiler, and place sausage meat in a frying pan, and cook until lightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes, breaking it up with two forks as it cooks.
- Place the bread slices on a baking sheet, and brown lightly under the broiler on both sides.
- Brush one side of each of the bread slices with olive oil.
- In a bowl, combine the cheese, sausage crumbles, sage, and cracked black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cover each bread slice with the cheese mixture, then place the tray in the oven and bake until hot and bubbly, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 pieces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 378Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 711mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 18g