This is another one of the new cookies I made over the holidays that I wanted to share. I grew up enjoying shortbread cookies which were a staple in our house, and to this day they remain one of my personal favorite types of cookies. Though not Italian, cookies like this one made from butter can be found across Italy. The cookie is filled with dark chocolate which makes it a little extra special, and it tastes as good as it looks.
Deborah Mele 2013
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter At Room Temperature
- 1/2 Cup Sugar Plus Additional For Rolling
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 (10 Ounce) Package Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the cream and vanilla and beat until mixed.
- Add the flour and beat until mixed.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Break off pieces of the dough and roll into 1 inch balls.
- Roll the balls in the reserved sugar and place the cookies 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Use the end of a wooden spoon to make an indentation or well in the center of the cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown. (If the indentation puffs up during baking, re-press it again with the end of the spoon).
- Coll the cookies to room temperature.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and cream together, stirring until smooth.
- Cool for 15 minutes, then use a pastry bag to pipe the filling into the center of each cookie.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks, or freeze for 3 months.