Panzarotti, also spelled panzerotti, are are deep fried pockets of dough stuffed with a variety of fillings and are commonly found in southern Italy. Though typical in the south, I do remember an amazing store we used to frequent in Milan that was nestled just behind the Duomo that sold wonderful panzarotti as well. Folks would line up in the street before the store even opened to sample the delicious hot pockets of tastiness.
Though they look similar to a calzone in their half moon shape, they are usually much smaller, and are deep fried instead of baked. Because of their small size, the filling is commonly just mozzarella and tomatoes, or mozzarella and sauce, though they can also be flavored with anchovies. These tasty, crisp golden pillows are delicious anytime, but are great when entertaining and children love them.
Deborah Mele 2013
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Minced
- 1 (14 Ounce) Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Basic Pizza Dough
- or 1 (1 Pound) Ball Store Bought Dough
- 10 oz. Mozzarella Cheese, Diced
- Salt And Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Basil, Finely Chopped
- Canola Oil For Frying
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan, then cook the garlic a minute or two until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper and cook until you have a thick sauce, about 10 minutes.
- Take the dough after the first rising, and shape it into a long loaf, and divide it into 10 pieces and shape into balls.
- Roll each of these balls into balls on a lightly floured surface into a 4 inch diameter circle.
- Place a spoonful of tomato mixture on each circle, sprinkle with fresh basil, salt and pepper and cover with some of the mozzarella.
- Lightly moisten the edges with water and pinch to seal.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan to 375 degrees F.
- Fry in batches until golden brown, then drain well on paper towels and serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 2 pieces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 22mg Sodium: 363mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 7g