Asparagus is one of the first vegetables to emerge from the garden each spring, though we now can buy it year round. We love asparagus and it always is a great side dish for almost any meat, poultry or seafood dish but it is also very healthy for you too. Asparagus is actually a member of the lily family and contains more folate than any other vegetable. It also is a good source of vitamin A, C, and K as well as glutathione which minimizes skin damage, and is said to even boost the libido!
A great tip for preparing asparagus spears for cooking is to snap off the bottom woody stem with your fingers instead of cutting it with a knife as the spear will naturally break just where the tough end begins. This easy recipe is delicious and quick to assemble and would be a great spring side dish for any meal. I love the combination of flavors so much that I can enjoy a plate of asparagus topped with tomatoes and a crumble of goat cheese for lunch along with some crusty Italian bread.
Deborah Mele 2013
- 1 Pound Asparagus, Trimmed
- 2 Teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Minced Fresh Garlic
- 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- Fine Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper to Taste
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons Goat Cheese Crumbles
- Cook the asparagus in boiling water for about 3 to 4 minutes or just until tender crisp.
- Drain in a colander and run cold water over the asparagus to cool, then allow to drain.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat, then add the garlic.
- Cook for a minute or two or until fragrant, then add the tomatoes.
- Cook the tomatoes until they begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and cook 2 to 3 minutes until thickened.
- Arrange the asparagus onto a platter, then pour the tomatoes on top.
- Garnish with the crumbled goat cheese and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 106Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 232mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 6g