On special occasions or holidays when I am planning my menu I often include a potato gratin, or what we call scalloped potatoes in my family. Thinly sliced peeled potatoes are layered with cheese and heavy cream and then cook until tender. The finished potato dish is golden brown and crisp on top and creamy and delicious underneath.
Since I use a fair amount of heavy cream in this dish, it is quite decadent and rich which is why I save it for special occasions. I like to serve these potatoes with any roasted poultry or type of meat. In this version, I used a combination of Asiago and Pecorino Romano cheese, and I flavored the dish with sautéed onions and artichokes. Fresh artichokes are not available at this time, so I used frozen ones and sautéed them along with the onions until they were lightly browned to give them more flavor.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion, Peeled & Diced
- 2 Cups Diced Thawed Frozen Artichokes
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme, Minced
- 3 Pounds Russet Potatoes, Peeled
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 2 Cups Shredded Asiago Cheese
- 2 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. and lightly butter a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat and then cook the onions and artichokes until the vegetables are soft and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the garlic, stir, and cook another minute or two until fragrant.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the thyme.
- Slice the potatoes 1/8 th of an inch thick and layer one third of the potatoes in the baking dish.
- Season with salt and pepper, then top with half the artichoke mixture, and half the Asiago cheese.
- Repeat this layer once more, then finish with a layer of potatoes.
- Pour the cream over the potatoes, pushing them down gently to coat with the cream.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
- Cover the casserole with foil, then bake on a rimmed baking sheet (to catch any drips) for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and bake another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender and the casserole is bubbly and golden brown.
- Let rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 square
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 576Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 454mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 17g