The flavor combination of roasted sweet peppers and goat cheese is one that I will never get tired of, as the sweetness of the peppers is perfectly balanced by the tangy flavor of the goat cheese. In this recipe, the peppers are pureed along with a little cream to create a tasty sauce that the goat cheese is stirred into.
I like to roast my own peppers as I prefer them to jarred ones that are preserved in vinegar. If time is short however, you can use marinated peppers in a jar that are well drained. The goat cheese in this recipe should be the soft, creamy variety to ensure it melds into the sauce perfectly. I chose to use fettuccine for my pasta, but this sauce will also work well with spaghetti, or even short pasta such as penne, farfalle, or rigatoni.
- 1 Pound Pasta of Choice (See Notes Above)
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Chopped Roasted Red Bell Peppers (Or Use Marinated Peppers, Well Drained)
- 1/2 Cup Diced Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Creamy Soft Goat Cheese
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Dash of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Grated Parmesan or Pecorino Cheese
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and cook the peppers and onions until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Place the peppers, onions, garlic, and cream in a food processor, and pulse until almost smooth.
- Add the goat cheese, season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, and pulse until blended.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil, then cook the pasta following package directions until the pasta is "al dente".
- Drain the pasta, reserving a small cup of the pasta water then return the pasta to the pot.
- Add the sauce and about 1/2 cup pasta water, then stir over medium heat until the pasta is well coated with the sauce and is piping hot.
- Stir in the parsley, and then serve in individual bowls, offering the grated cheese at the table.