In this recipe, I chose to mix farro with my favorite vegetables but you could add just about any vegatable you chose. Grilled asparagus, mushrooms or artichokes would also be delicious in this salad. In place of the capers you could add pitted, sliced olives or even lightly toasted pine nuts. A sprinkling of crumbled goat cheese is another tasty addition that creates a whole different flavor.
We often make this salad for lunch but it is also perfect to pack for picnics or outdoor barbeques. Farro is a close cousin to spelt, so you can substitute spelt for farro if it is easier to find. Both grains are rich in protein and fiber and are therefore a great alternative to meat.
Deborah Mele 2013
- 1 1/2 Cups Dried Farro
- 1 Small Eggplant
- 2 Small Zucchini
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Small Red Onion
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes Cut In Half
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- 3 Tablespoons Drained Capers
- Olive Oil For Brushing
- 1/4 Cup White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley Finely Chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- Cook the farro in lightly salted boiling water until tender to the bite but still just a bit chewy, about 25 minutes.
- Drain and reserve in a large bowl.
- Cut the eggplant, zucchini, and onion into 1 1/2 inch slices, and cut the pepper into four pieces after coring and seeding it.
- Lightly brush the vegetables with olive oil and grill until tender and lightly browned.
- Alternatively, you can cook them under a preheated broiler until lightly browned and soft.
- Remove the onion skin and slice into 2 inch pieces.
- Remove the skin from the pepper and chop in the same manner.
- Continue to cut both the zucchini and the eggplant into pieces and all of these vegetables to the bowl holding the farro.
- Add the tomatoes and capers and mix.
- Tear the basil into small pieces and add this to the bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a separate small bowl and pour it over the farro mixture.
- Toss well and serve on four individual plates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 487Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 241mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 9gSugar: 14gProtein: 9g