I usually have some roasted sweet peppers in my refrigerator all the time that I use as an addition to my antipasti tray, in sandwiches, or to toss into my pasta dishes. I recently decided to try something a little different, and simply fried pepper strips, then added some garlic and balsamic vinegar and they turned out delicious. I’ve tasted peppers cooked this way from time to time but for some reason I just never made them myself at home until recently. The balsamic vinegar really adds a nice depth of flavor and a little extra sweetness that turns simple peppers into something special. These peppers would be great on an antipasti tray, or served with grilled or roasted meats and sausages. I also think these peppers would be amazing served along with grilled sausages on a bun.
Deborah Mele 2014
- 6 Large Sweet Peppers (I Used 2 Yellow, 4 Red)
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive OIl
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Minced
- 1/3 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Chopped Parsley
- Wash and dry the peppers, then remove the seeds, stems, and membranes.
- Cut the peppers into 1 inch strips.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed skillet and add the peppers, stirring well to coat in the oil.
- Cook the peppers over medium heat until they begin to soften and brown, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute or two until fragrant.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Cook another 3 to 4 minutes until the peppers have absorbed all of the vinegar.
- Toss with the fresh chopped parsley and place on a platter to serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 152 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 57mg Carbohydrates: 11g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 7g Protein: 1g