When it comes to holiday side dishes, I always have some type of potato option whether it is a simple rustic olive oil mashed folded with fresh herbs, or a little more upscale scalloped potato dish that is creamy and rich. I also like to add a couple of other vegetable sides, and one of them often is Brussels sprouts much to the dismay of my Son-In-Law and grandsons. Brussels sprouts are one of those vegetables that folks either love, or strongly dislike, and unfortunately, we have folks in both of these camps in our family.
This easy dish combines Brussels sprouts, sliced shallots, cubed apples, and sausage crumbles which are popped into the oven to roast. The sweetness of the apples works so well with the earthy flavor of the sprouts, and the sausage, well just like bacon, sausage makes anything taste better! I am going to prepare this dish for my family over the holidays to see if I can create a few more sprout lovers in the family! You could use diced pancetta (or bacon) in place of the sausage if you prefer, and any flavorful apples work such as Gala, Fuji, or Pink Lady. This side dish will pair wonderfully with any roasted meat or poultry, and it was so tasty in fact, that my husband and I ate this as our main course recently!
Deborah Mele 2015
- 1 Pound Brussels Sprouts
- 2 Medium Baking Apples Cored & Diced
- 1 Cup Sliced Shallots
- 1/2 Pound Mild Italian Sausage, Meat Removed From Casings, and Crumbled
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Hot Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet (15x10 inches)with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, toss together the sprouts, apples, shallots, sausage, oil, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes.
- Spread the sprout mixture across the baking sheet, and roast, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring once.
- Add the walnuts, and cook another 5 to 8 minutes, until the sprouts are golden brown and fork tender.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 21g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 363mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 11g Protein: 17g