We make pizza in our pizza oven every week, and after a lot of trial and error, I found pizza dough is best made fresh each week. When I do have leftover pizza dough from our weekly pizza night, I divide it up into five-ounce balls and freeze it for flatbreads. Pizza dough is stretched by hand, and you want to treat it gently so that the air stays in the dough. With flatbreads, you want a thinner and crispy crust, so I use a rolling pin to roll out my flatbread. These crispy treats are great when entertaining, cut into small squares and served with a glass of wine. I also like to serve these flatbreads with a big bowl of soup to make a complete meal. You can use refrigerator leftovers when making your flatbread, or combine any of your favorite ingredients.
For this flatbread, I decided to create toppings used in my favorite sandwich, which is Bacon, Lettuce, & Tomato. I used shredded mozzarella cheese, bacon bits, sweet cherry tomatoes, and arugula lettuce which is added after the flatbread has cooled for a few minutes. When rolling out the dough for flatbread, I roll it into a large oval shape about 1/8th of an inch thick.
Deborah Mele 2015
- 2 (5 Ounce) Balls Pizza Dough
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 1/2 Cups Halved Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Crispy Bacon Pieces
- 1 1/2 Cups Fresh Arugula
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Use a rolling pin, and roll out each ball of dough on a lightly floured surface until it is about 1/8th of an inch thick.
- Place each oval of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Mix the dried oregano into the olive oil and brush over the top of each flatbread.
- Divide the cheese between each flatbread covering the dough up to 1/2 inch of the edges.
- Scatter the tomato halves and bacon pieces over each flatbread.
- Bake the breads for about 20 minutes or until bubbly and light brown.
- Cool 5 to 7 minutes, then scatter the arugula over each flatbread.
- Cut the breads into small squares and serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 pieces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 254Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 485mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g