Holiday preparations are in full swing at our house as I rush to get everything completed before the family starts arriving. Every day I am in the kitchen baking cookies, sweet bread, and other holiday treats that I store in the freezer to enjoy with the family. I try to have a bunch of things ready, so I do not spend my entire holiday break in the kitchen while the rest of the household are out having fun. On busy baking days, I don’t have time or patience for elaborate meals, so I often throw together a quick pasta dish, a slow cooker meal, or a hearty meal in a bowl kind of soup like this one.
This soup comes together very quickly, and since it contains potatoes, sausage, and broccoli, it truly is a complete meal in a bowl. We like things spicy in my house, so I used spicy Italian turkey sausage, but if you are making this soup for children, I’d recommend using mild Italian sausages instead. I serve this soup with a loaf of crusty Italian bread, and a crisp mixed green salad and find it very satisfying. This soup is best served right after it is made while the broccoli is still bright green. Though the soup still tastes delicious the next day, the broccoli will change color and not be quite as attractive.
Deborah Mele 2016
- 3 Spicy Italian Turkey Sausage Links, Meat Removed From Casings
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion, Cut Into Small Dice
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 2 Medium Potatoes, Peeled & Cut Into 1-inch Pieces
- 1/4 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 (32 Ounce) Container or Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 Teaspoon Chopped Fresh Thyme
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 Small Head Broccoli, Cut Into Small Pieces
- Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, cook the sausage meat, breaking it up with two forks as it cooks.
- Once the meat is no longer pink, add the onions and garlic, and cook, stirring often until the onions are translucent, a In bout 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, wine, cream, broth, thyme, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Cook over a simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, stir and cook until the broccoli is bright green in color and tender crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve in individual bowls topped with a spoonful of grated cheese and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 460Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 620mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 29g