With the holidays quickly approaching, we all become more susceptible to germs that lead to colds and flu as we fight the crowds to finish our gift shopping, or mingle with folks at holiday parties. It is especially important this time of year to do everything you can to prevent getting sick and promoting good health, and for me, this means eating lots of healthy foods, especially superfoods. My husband recently read the book How Not To Die written by Michael Gregger M.D. and after learning how broccoli can help to boost the immune system, he has requested that we include broccoli into our weekly menus more often.
This soup includes such immune boosting ingredients as turmeric, garlic, onions, and ginger which increases its nutritional value as well as adding lots of flavor. To keep this soup creamy yet low calorie, I thickened the soup with avocado in place of heavy cream. Avocado gives this soup a very smooth texture, thickens the soup naturally, and adds heart healthy fat calories. To serve this soup, you can garnish the soup however you like. I prefer to simply swirl in some homemade Greek yogurt, or top it with some crunchy whole grain croutons for texture. I had some leftover bacon bits in my refrigerator, so I briefly fried them up with coarsely chopped pumpernickel croutons for the soup in these photos.
Deborah Mele 2017
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, Peeled & Diced
- 2 Celery Stalks, Diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 1/2-inch Piece Fresh Ginger, Peeled & Grated
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Large Head Broccoli, Cut Into Pieces
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 5 Cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 1 Medium Avocado, Peeled & Diced
- 1/2 Lemon
- Garnish of Choice (See Notes Above)
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed stockpot over medium heat, then cook the onion and celery until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and turmeric, and cook a minute or two until fragrant.
- Add the broccoli, chili flakes, salt, pepper, and broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until the broccoli is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool the soup for 30 minutes, then pour it into a blender along with the avocado and lemon juice.
- Puree until very smooth, then pour into individual bowls, garnish as desired, and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 449Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 819mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 22gSugar: 15gProtein: 13g