We traveled to the island of Sardinia last September and had a glorious time driving all over the island and dining on their specialty foods. The cuisine of Sardinia is unique, and being a small island, seafood is an essential ingredient. Both my husband and I love seafood, so we ordered it on a daily basis during our ten-day trip. At one restaurant, we enjoyed an extensive seafood appetizer for lunch, and this dish was one of the items on the menu. I was in love with this calamari dish at first bite as they were incredibly tender and full of flavor mixed with sun-dried tomatoes and olives. Just a few carefully chosen ingredients combined create this delicious dish. This recipe could be doubled to be used on an antipasti platter when entertaining, or serve it on mixed greens for a light lunch entree. Because there are just a few ingredients in this recipe, do choose the best quality you can find. Oil packed sun-dried tomatoes have more flavor, and Kalamata are a good choice of flavorful black olives.
To prepare tender calamari, they either have to be cooked quickly or long and slow. I used the quick method since I was boiling my calamari for a salad, and they take just a minute or so to fully cook. To clean the calamari, simply cut off the head, remove the wings and outer skin, pull out the cartilage and anything left inside the tube. Then, cut off the tentacle section from the head and set the tentacles aside, and cut the calamari tubes into 1/2-inch rings. Drop into boiling water for one to two minutes, then drain and rinse in cold water. This recipe is best prepared a few hours before serving to allow the flavors to develop.
Deborah Mele 2018
Calamari With Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Olives
- 4 Medium Calamari, Cleaned (See Notes Above)
- 1 Garlic Clove, Minced
- 1/3 Cup Oil Packed Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Drained & Cut Into Thin Slivers
- 1/4 Cup Coarsely Chopped Kalamata Olives
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley Leaves, Finely Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Small Capers, Drained
- 1 Large Lemon, Juiced
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Drop the calamari into a pot of lightly salted boiling water and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drain, and rinse under cold water.
- Mix calamari and other ingredients together in a bowl.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for at least two hours before serving.
- Serve & enjoy!