This year we changed up our usual routine as my husband headed to Italy in May without me while I stayed back to get our new house in order. I am keeping busy with household chores, but when it comes to cooking, meals for one are just not fun. This dish of roasted mixed vegetables has been one of my favorite recipes for years, is easy to throw together, and will last me a couple of meals, so I make it for myself often. In fact, I have made these vegetables three times in the past couple of weeks, because they are just that good.
I just love the flavor of the vegetables that are slowly roasted until meltingly tender and sweet, and this combination of vegetables just works so well together. These vegetables are also versatile, and can be used on top of salad greens, mixed with pasta, or served as a side dish with grilled or roasted meats. My personal favorite way to eat the meal is all on its own when it is still slightly warm from the oven. I top the dish with some crumbled goat cheese and serve it with crusty bread as my main course. Try it, I am sure that you’ll love it as much as I do!
This recipe is straightforward, and can easily be divided in half or doubled in size. Merely keep the quantities of each vegetable equal, and use enough oil to lightly coat the vegetables before cooking. For best results choose firm zucchini, peppers, and eggplant on the smaller size. Good quality balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil are also a must. You can either peel the eggplant or leave the peel on depending on your preference. I do not mind the skin myself, so I usually leave it on. Mixing the chopped basil and balsamic vinegar into the vegetable mix when it is still warm really melds the flavors together.
Deborah Mele 2018
- 1 Medium Eggplant, Stem End Removed
- 1 Large Red Onion, Peeled
- 3 Zucchini, Stem End Removed
- 1 Large Red Pepper, Cored And Seeded
- 1 Large Yellow Pepper, Cored And Seeded
- 4 to 5 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Minced
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- 4 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Basil
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut all of the vegetables into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Place the vegetables on a baking sheet and drizzle with the oil.
- Use you hands to lightly toss the vegetables to ensure they are lightly coated all over.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with he minced garlic, season with salt and pepper and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and browned.
- You will need to turn the vegetables over a couple of times during the cooking period to ensure even browning.
- Remove from the oven and cool until the vegetables are just warm.
- Sprinkle with the balsamic vinegar and chopped basil and toss to mix well.
- Serve as desired!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 84mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 11g Protein: 4g