With the temperatures finally rising along with the humidity, we now have summer weather. It took long enough, but I am thoroughly enjoying the summer temperatures. With days this hot and humid, I have been doing a lot of grilling to keep things nice and cool in the kitchen.
The past couple of weeks I have been working on some vegetable side dishes prepared on the grill, including such family favorites as Grilled Corn, and Grilled Red Potato Salad. My daughter invited me to her house for dinner on Father’s Day. It was a real treat to have someone else cook for me, and the meal was delicious.
The one thing I noticed that my grandkids were eating the grilled asparagus like it was candy. My daughter topped it with crispy prosciutto bits which taste like bacon, and everyone knows that everything is better with bacon! I got to thinking, and although I have wrapped asparagus spears with prosciutto for the grill, surely wrapping the asparagus with bacon might work even better.
For this recipe to work well, the asparagus spears should be about a half inch thick, and you should use bacon that is of medium thickness. I love having the asparagus tops charred, but if you do not care for that, you can finish cooking the spears on the top shelf of the grill. I find that four spears of equal size wrapped in the bacon cook evenly, and the asparagus gets bathed in the bacon fat as it cooks.
This is probably one of the easiest side dishes that you can prepare, and one that the whole family will enjoy. Apart from the bacon and fresh asparagus, the only other ingredient needed is cracked black pepper. I have a gas grill that has a top shelf, so I cooked the asparagus until it was three-quarters of the way cooked and finished with it on the top shelf away from the direct heat to ensure that the bacon was fully cooked and the asparagus wasn’t overcooked. If you do not have a top shelf, just cook the asparagus longer at a lower heat level.
- 1 Pound Asparagus (See Notes Above)
- 6 to 8 Slices Medium Thick Bacon
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Heat gas grill to medium high heat.
- Trim the bottom ends of the asparagus and cut to an equal length.
- Tightly wrap four spears of asparagus in one slice of bacon.
- You can secure the asparagus bundles with toothpicks if you like.
- Place the bundles on the heat, close the lid and cook 5 minutes.
- Use tongs to turn the bundles, and continue cooking in this fashion until the bacon is browned on all sides.
- Place the bundles on the top shelf away from the heat, close the lid, and cook another 7 to 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 bundles
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 403mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g