My family loves food, and when we get together we are either talking about food, preparing a meal, or enjoying a delicious meal together. Of course like most families, everyone in my family has their personal favorite dishes, but when it comes to grilling season, everyone always requests this salad. There is something magical that happens when you toss slightly warm charred potatoes with sweet grilled onions in a zesty dressing made simply with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and Dijon mustard. Tossing the potatoes and onions in the dressing while still warm is the trick as the dressing gets absorbed right into the potatoes. If you are used to the usual mayonnaise based potato salad, give this one a try for something different. I do not think you’ll regret it!
When we are planning to fire up the grill, I like to plan my entire meal to be cooked outdoors, so this salad fits right into my menu. This tasty salad is delicious either warm or at room temperature, though I prefer it warm, and it goes really well with any grilled meat. I used baby red potatoes in this recipe, but you could also use small Yukon Gold potatoes and simply cut them into 2 to 3 inch pieces. I leave the skin on my potatoes as it is delicious slightly charred and there is a lot of nutritional benefits to eating the entire potato.
I usually precook the potatoes before I grill them to cut down on the time needed on the grill. You could do this by either boiling the potatoes for about 5 minutes, or popping them into the microwave until a fork can pierce the potato fairly easily. You can also add in some capers or chopped, pitted Kalamata olives if you like, but do not skip the parsley as it adds a needed herbal freshness as well as a pop of color.
Deborah Mele 2018
- 2 Pounds Baby Red Potatoes, Washed and Dried And Cut In Half
- 3 Medium Red Onions, Peeled & Cut In Half
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasonings
- Zest and juice of of 1/2 Lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 4 Tablespoons White Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Precook the potatoes as described above until just fork tender.
- Preheat the grill.
- Thread the potato halves onto skewers and lay the skewers on a baking sheet.
- Thread each half of the onions on skewers.
- Mix together the rest of the ingredients (not the dressing ingredients) and brush the potato and onion skewers lightly.
- Place the skewers on the hot grill, and cook, turning as needed to brown all sides, until the potatoes and onions are tender and lightly browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes and onions from the skewers and place them in a large bowl.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients and pour over the potatoes.
- Carefully toss to coat all of the potatoes well and place the potatoes on a serving platter.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 401 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 215mg Carbohydrates: 43g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 11g Protein: 5g