Grilled vegetable pasta is a nice excuse to get out of the kitchen, so heat up your outdoor grill and get busy! This is a great pasta to make during the hot summer months when fresh vegetables are at their peak. The vegetables themselves are the sauce and because they are cut into chunky pieces this recipe works best with short dried pasta shapes such as rigatoni, fusilli, or penne. I enjoy this pasta as written, but you could also add in some capers, flavorful pitted olives, or a drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar.
Deborah Mele 2018
Grilled Vegetable Pasta
Grilled vegetable pasta is a nice excuse to get out of the kitchen!
- 1 Pound Dried Pasta Such as Fusilli or Rigatoni
- 12 Ripe Plum Tomatoes, Halved
- 2 Medium Red Onions, Peeled And Halved
- 2 Bell Peppers, Halved
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Basil, Chopped
- 6 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Minced Garlic Cloves
- 6 Tablespoons Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- Dash of Salt
- Dash of Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- Additional Grated Cheese For Serving
- Preheat outdoor gas grill or barbecue, and then grill the tomato, pepper and onion halves over medium heat until browned and tender.
- Remove from the heat and coarsely chop.
- Cook the pasta al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, mix together the oil, garlic, herbs, and seasonings.
- Drain the pasta and add the seasoning mix.
- Add the chopped onions, cheese, peppers and tomatoes and cook a minute or two over medium heat until everything is piping hot.
- Serve, offering additional cheese if desired.