I am always looking to try new vegetable sides, and this one is a keeper. Cubed potatoes are tossed with sliced garlic and onions and are roasted until crispy and lightly browned. Chopped tomatoes are then added for the last ten minutes so that they just begin to soften and release their juices. Once the vegetables are finished, fresh chopped basil is tossed into the mixture. This tasty side dish would be great with almost any meat or seafood entree. You could also add in chopped sweet peppers, or mushrooms if you like. The type of tomatoes doesn’t really matter as long as they are ripe. I used cherry tomatoes in the version in the photos, but have also used larger tomatoes that I merely diced after squeezing out most of the seeds. This dish is delicious served hot from the oven or at room temperature.
Deborah Mele 2018
- 1 1/2 Pounds Potatoes, Peeled, And Cut Into 2 Inch Pieces
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, Coarsely Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 3 Tomatoes, Halved, Seeded, Cored, And Cut Into Large Dice
- Salt And Pepper To Taste
- Dash Of Red Pepper Flakes
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh, Chopped Basil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix together the onions, oil, garlic and potatoes.
- Season with the salt, pepper, and pepper flakes.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the potatoes have started to turn golden brown, and can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Increase the heat to 400 degrees, add the tomatoes, and return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh basil, and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 208 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 66mg Carbohydrates: 29g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 4g Protein: 4g