I’m having a little trouble getting motivated to work on recipes for the blog this week since my Father-In-Law passed away Saturday morning. Just knowing he is gone has created a large hole in our world that will take time to adjust to. Add to that the fact that it is hotter than heck outside with humidity so high that the temperature feels ten degrees warmer than it actually is, and turning on the stove just isn’t very inviting! It is weeks like this one when I just want to go outside and sit in the shade and watch my chickens. I swear chicken watching is better than meditation or yoga!
Luckily I have this Low Carb Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken I can share that I have made a few times in the past couple of weeks. Caesar salad is usually low carb anyway, especially if the dressing is homemade and you skip the croutons. I thoroughly enjoy a well made main course salad, and this one has everything you could want. You can tweak the recipe as you like by using shredded or shaved cheese in place of the grated, or crumbled bacon in place of the large pieces I prefer. Since croutons are not allowed on a low carb diet, I add Parmesan cheese crisps to add some texture.
I have found that the easiest way to make a creamy olive oil based dressings is with an immersion or hand blender. It works perfectly and creates a thick creamy sauce in just a minute or two. You just need a glass jar just wider than the head of the blender. I find that my 2 cup glass measuring cup works well.
Deborah Mele 2018
- 4 (6 Ounce) Chicken Breasts
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Italian Seasonings
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Peeled
- 1/2 Teaspoon Anchovy Paste
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Capers
- Salt & Cracked Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Bacon Fat (Reserve Fat For Dressing)
- 1/3 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 3 Heads Romaine Lettuce, Washed, Dried, & Chopped
- 6 Strips Thick Cut Bacon, Cut Into 2-inch Pieces
- 1/3 Cup Parmesan Crisps (Optional)
- 1/2 Cup Shredded or Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Rub the chicken with olive oil and then season with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Grill the chicken 4 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Cut into 1/2-inch strips, then set aside until needed.
- In a glass jar, add the dressing ingredients and insert your immersion blender to touch the bottom.
- Power on high without moving the blender for 30 seconds.
- Start to move the blender around to ensure all the ingredients are blended for 20 seconds.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings as needed.
- In a large bowl, add the lettuce, bacon, crisps, and half the cheese.
- Add half the dressing and toss to coat.
- Add more dressing as needed to gently coat all of the lettuce leaves.
- Serve on 4 individual plates, then top with remaining cheese and grilled chicken slices.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 997 Total Fat: 71g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 50g Cholesterol: 198mg Sodium: 1363mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 11g Sugar: 13g Protein: 60g