September has arrived although the temperatures are as warm as ever, and fall still feels many weeks away. Although the kids are all back in school, there is still time to enjoy grilling outside. This is a very easy yet delicious complete meal that you cook entirely on the grill, making it perfect for those warm summer, early fall days when you do not want to step foot in the kitchen.
The sausages are first marinated in red wine which gives them a more complex flavor when grilled, and although no one will be able to tell what is different about the sausages unless you tell them, it really does give them a unique flavor. As with any dish, use the best quality sausages you can find, or better yet, make your own.
The vegetables can be any that you enjoy that work well on the grill. I chose zucchini, peppers, summer squash, radicchio, and red onions, although asparagus, mushrooms, eggplant, or even slices of butternut squash would work well also. One other item that we often slice and grill that really pops up the flavor of the sausages are lemons. I am posting this recipe for four servings, but it can easily be adapted to any number. Simply allow two sausages per person, as well as a slice or two of each of your chosen vegetables.
- 8 Italian Sausage Links
- 2 Cups Dry Red Wine
- 2 Red Sweet Peppers
- 1 Orange Sweet Pepper
- 2 Medium Zucchini
- 2 Medium Summer Squash
- 2 Small Red Onions
- 1 Head Radicchio
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 Teaspoons Finely Chopped Fresh Basil
- 2 Medium Lemons (Optional)
- Place the sausages in a casserole dish and pour the red wine over them.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or up the 12 hours, then drain and set aside.
- Core the peppers and remove the membranes and seeds, slicing the peppers into 6 strips each.
- Trim the ends on the zucchini and summer squash, and slice lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices.
- Peel the onions, and cut into quarters.
- Cut the head of radicchio into 4 wedges.
- In a large bowl, add the oil, oregano, salt, pepper, and chopped basil. add the trimmed vegetables and toss to coat.
- Slice the lemons into 1/4 inch slices.
- Fire up the grill, and once it has reached the desired temperature, cook all the vegetables and lemon slices until they are fork tender.
- Arrange the vegetables on a platter, and grill the sausages about 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Arrange the sausages on the platter and serve.