Cima di Rape con Patate ~ This is one of those easy homey recipes that one imagines that the people out in the farmlands of Italy eat. Rustic, country cooking at it’s best. This vegetable dish is great with grilled sausages, or a nice roasted chicken or breast of veal. If you have difficulty locating broccoli rabe, ask your grocery manager to get some for you. Broccoli or any type of green could also be substituted if broccoli rabe is unavailable. I have made many variations of this dish, but this is my favorite. I cook the potatoes and cima di rape together in one pot and while they are cooking I fry up some pancetta, onions and garlic in spicy olive oil. Once the potatoes are finished, drain well, and fry everything together until the flavors meld.
You have the option to leave the skin on the potatoes as I did in the photo for more texture, or peel the potatoes before cooking them if you prefer. The skin of the potato has a lot of nutrients, just wash and scrub the potatoes well before using them. This dish is great both warm and room temperature. If desired add some grated parmesan or pecorino Romano cheese on top. I love this dish so much, that I am very happy eating a bowl of it with a fried egg on top for my dinner!
Deborah Mele 2018
- 1 Bunch of Broccoli Rabe
- 4 Medium Potatoes
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 3/4 Cup Chopped Pancetta
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- 3 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Sage
- Salt & Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Quarter the potatoes, and boil in salted water until they are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Clean the broccoli rabe, removing stems and yellowed leaves, and chop the rest into 2 inch pieces.
- About 2 minutes before removing the potatoes, add the broccoli rabe and cook until tender.
- Drain well and place the potatoes and broccoli into a bowl.
- In the same pot, heat the oil until sizzling, then add the onion and pancetta and cook over medium heat until the pancetta and onions are golden brown.
- Add the garlic and sage, and cook another minute or two until fragrant.
- Return the potatoes and cima mixture to the pot.
- Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Stir, breaking up the potatoes a bit and cook a minute or two until everything is coated with the spices.
- Remove, place in a bowl and serve warm.
Cooking Tip: When cleaning your vegetable, look at the stems of your broccoli rabe. If they appear young and tender, peel them using a sharp knife and cut into pieces and add to the rest of the rabe. They are full of flavor and goodness. Old, woody stems should just be discarded.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 442Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 108mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g