I am presently sitting in front of the fireplace watching the start of a heavy snowstorm outside. The weathermen are calling for anything from four to eight inches by dinner time so we will be bundling up to head outside to shovel snow yet again. I actually do not mind the snow too much, and it certainly is pretty to look at!
I haven’t driven in snowy or icy conditions in many years, so when the roads are bad, I just stay home. Later this week they are calling for frigid temperatures with below zero temps. THAT I am not looking forward to as I cannot breath when it is that cold, and I will have to keep my chickens locked up in the coop. Oh well, we were spoiled with the mild temperatures this winter up to this point, so we should expect some typical winter weather for a while.
When it is cold outside, I typically prefer heartier meals, and I love making a big pot of soup that we can enjoy at lunch for a few days. This soup is so filling it could also be enjoyed as a main course dinner option. Just add a loaf of crusty, whole grain bread, and a big mixed salad.
This is the kind of soup that you can play around with the ingredients. Start with this recipe, and then add any other ingredients that you like such as green beans, diced zucchini, etc.
My husband loves spicy food, so I used spicy Italian sausages in this soup, but feel free to use mild Italian sausages if you prefer. When I serve this soup, I first grill slices of crusty Italian bread and brush them with olive oil.
I place the bread in the bottom of the bowl and ladle the soup on top. You can garnish this soup with a spoonful of pesto, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, or sprinkle with some sharp, grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Pound Sausage Meat, Mild or Spicy
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 2 Carrots, Trimmed & Chopped
- 2 Stalks Celery, Chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 8 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Medium Potatoes, Peeled & Diced
- 1 Bunch Kale, Stems & Veins Removed & Finely Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley Leaves
- Salt & Pepper To taste
- 2 Cans Cannellini Beans, Drained
- To Serve:
- Slices Crusty Italian Bread
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat, and then add the sausage.
- Cook the meat, using two forks to break it up as it cooks, until no longer pink, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic, and continue to cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 6 minutes.
- Add the broth, potato, kale, oregano, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes and kale are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and mix well.
- Taste the soup and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Grill or broil the bread slices until golden brown, and then brush with olive oil.
- Place one slice of bread into the bottom of each soup bowl, and then ladle the soup on top.
- Garnish as desired and serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 595Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 1967mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 33g