Last month was a difficult one for me as my Mother passed away on March 19th. My Mom loved my cooking and enjoyed eating just about anything I would make, but her favorite dishes were crab cakes, any type of pasta, and any meal that included goat cheese and roasted peppers. We had a running joke that if we were having pizza night and Mom was over, I never had to ask her what type of pizza she would want because we all knew she would say she would love roasted peppers and goat cheese if I had it on hand. I always had goat cheese in the refrigerator if Mom was visiting, and I tried to have some roasted sweet peppers on hand for her as well.
Getting through the difficult days after Mom passed had me spending a lot of time in the kitchen, which is my happy place, and I pulled out several recipes using Mom’s favorite ingredients. As well as a delicious Pasta With Goat Cheese & Roasted Peppers, I made this easy appetizer of toasted bread slices topped with creamy goat cheese and roasted pepper strips. Though I never made this bruschetta for Mom, I know she would love it!
Though you could use a jar of roasted peppers for this dish, I find making your own roasted peppers results in a much more flavorful result. The preservatives that they use in jarred peppers tend to cover the natural sweetness of the peppers for me. If you want a quick and easy appetizer recipe though, using a jar of pre-roasted peppers would certainly simplify your preparation! Because this dish is such a simple one, you just need to use the best ingredients. Choose a very creamy, spreadable goat cheese, and a crusty baguette for the best results. The only other ingredients required are fresh basil leaves, cracked black pepper, and a drizzle of full-flavored extra virgin olive oil. This is a great appetizer to throw together when friends top by as it takes only minutes to assemble and everyone loves it.
Deborah Mele 2019
- 1 Crusty Baguette, Sliced Diagonally About 1/2-inch Thick
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Plus Extra For Drizzling)
- 1 (6 Ounce) Log Creamy Goat Cheese At Room Temperature
- 1 (16 Ounce Jar) Roasted Pepper, Drained & Patted Dry
- 1 Recipe Roasted Peppers
- Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- 10 Large Fresh Basil Leaves
- Preheat the broiler to high heat, and lay the bread slices flat on a baking sheet.
- Brown both sides of the bread until light golden brown, then brush one side of each slice with olive oil.
- Spread each slice with the goat cheese.
- Slice the roasted peppers into thin strips, and then arrange two or three strips on each slice of bread.
- Season with salt and pepper and lightly drizzle with olive oil.
- Roll the basil leaves up lengthwise, and using a sharp knife, cut into thin strips.
- Sprinkle the fresh basil over the bruschetta, then arrange them on a platter and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 3 slices
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 496Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 667mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 10g