We returned from Italy just before the Memorial Day holiday, and I was excited to have the family over for dinner to celebrate the holiday. My husband wanted to have a pizza night, but I wanted to prepare a traditional barbecue. Since I am the one who plans our meals and does most of the cooking, I won. I decided to cook ribs and Italian sausages with grilled corn, mixed green salad, and a potato salad. I grew up enjoying potato salad just about every time we grilled dinner, although it was a traditional potato salad. My Mother’s potato salad always got rave reviews from anyone who tasted it, but it is a mayonnaise-based salad and I wanted to prepare something a little lighter.
I decided to use a bag of mixed baby potatoes, and once cooked I tossed them in a zesty vinaigrette with chopped green onions and lots of crispy bacon bits. The salad was a hit, and I made so much that we enjoyed leftovers the next day. Creating a potato salad with a vinaigrette dressing, rather than a mayonnaise-based one, is a better choice when you need to pack the salad to take on a picnic, or for a pot luck meal as it doesn’t require constant refrigeration. Sometimes I like to reserve some of the bacon fat after I cook the bacon and replace some of the olive oil with it to enhance the bacon flavor.
Deborah Mele 2019
- 2 Pounds Baby Mixed Potatoes, Cut Into Quarters
- 4 Tablespoons White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper
- 10 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 6 Green Onions, Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Bacon Bits
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water and cook until they are just cooked through.
- Drain in a colander.
- While still warm, place the potatoes in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper until blended.
- Add the vinaigrette to the warm potatoes, and toss until coated.
- Add the scallions, parsley, and bacon bits and toss gently.
- Taste, and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 194mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g