We just experienced our first extended power outage, and I must say that I hope never to have to go through that again anytime soon. Being without water, power, and flushing toilets for forty-eight hours just wasn’t fun. I have to say that with over two hundred and fifty- thousand people still without power, I am very happy that our power was restored late yesterday afternoon.
My daughter lives just down the street from us, and she has a backup generator. She allowed me to use her garage refrigerator and freezer, so I didn’t lose too much of perishables. I can certainly see a backup generator in our future!
My Brother-in-law was visiting us while we were without power as he came down to help us extend the chicken run. Luckily my husband found a small generator that he rented for power tools, so the work was able to move forward.
Unfortunately, not being able to open my refrigerator or freezer too often to try and preserve things as much as possible made preparing meals a little tricky. Not having air conditioning during a heatwave was another discomfort we had to put up with!
I am happy to have my kitchen back, and although I will have to replace some of the dairy products, we were lucky not to lose too much food. I did bake these tasty spiced biscotti a week ago, so we did have them to snack on during our power outage.
One of my favorite hot drinks is a dirty chai, a warm mug of milky chai tea with a shot of espresso, so I knew that I’d love the flavor of these biscotti. I have a jar of chai spices that worked perfectly in this recipe, but I will list the necessary spices in the ingredient list.
These biscotti keep well for a couple of weeks in my cookie jar and are delicious with my morning coffee. You could finish off these biscotti with a glaze, but I find that they keep longer, especially during the warm days of summer plain.
- 2 1/4 Cup White Spelt Flour (Or All-purpose Flour)
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Large Eggs + 2 Large Egg Yolks At Room Temperature
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Heaping Teaspoons Chai Spice Mix
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cardamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Star Anise
- 1 Cup Coarsely Chopped Pecans, or Walnuts, or Blanched Almonds
- Preheat oven t 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon sheet.
- In one bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and soda, spice mix, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks with the sugar, then add the vanilla and mix.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and use a wooden spoon to mix just until mixed.
- Stir in the almonds.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured counter and gently knead with your hands for a minute or two.
- Divide the dough in half, and shape into logs about 10" x 3".
- Place the loaves onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 35 minutes or until the loaves are firm to the touch.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F. and let the loaves cool for 10 minutes.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the loaves into 1/2" thick cookies and lay the cookies side by side flat on the baking tray.
- Bake the biscotti another 15 minutes, gently turning them over halfway through.
- Cool completely then enjoy!
Adapted from Tasteslovely.com
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 258Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 233mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 4gSugar: 19gProtein: 9g