The recent heatwave has finally broke, and we woke up this morning too much cooler temperatures. I don’t know about you, but when the temperatures soar, I am just not hungry for large meals. During the hot days of summer, nothing is more satisfying to me than a big crunchy salad. During the summer I tend to make a lot more main course salads full of whole grains and colorful raw vegetables. I also like to create tasty side salads to pair with grilled meat or poultry during the summer. This salad is an example of one of my easy raw salads that I enjoy.
By using the food processor to rice the cauliflower you can pull this salad together in just a few minutes but you also could chop the cauliflower by hand if you prefer. The dressing is lots of lemon, a little Dijon mustard, and extra virgin olive oil, while golden raisins add a sweetness and toasted almonds add some crunch. This salad keeps well in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
Deborah Mele 2019
- 1 Head of Cauliflower, Finely Chopped (About 3 Cups - See Notes Above)
- 2 Celery Stalks, Diced
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Golden Raisins
- 1/4 Cup Lightly Toasted Sliced Almonds
- 4 Green Onions, Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Herbs (Parsley, Basil, Mint)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, & pepper.
- In another bowl, toss together the cauliflower, celery, raisins, almonds, onions, and herbs.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss again.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 100mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 7g Protein: 3g