As suumer turns to fall, we start to see a change in the produce offered in our local outdoor markets. Though we still have the usual summer fruits and vegetables available, fall favorites such as greens and winter squash are just starting to make an appearance. Although I am looking forward to enjoying all of the fall bounty that we will soon be seeing in stores and markets, I am just not ready to give up on summer yet. The zucchini in our garden decided it just wasn’t going to produce fruit this year, so I bought a bag full of small zucchini and summer squash at a reduced price at our local green grocer recently to make this tasty side dish or salad.
This salad is an excellent lunch option, or it also doubles as a veggie side dish for grilled poultry or meat. You could add goat cheese crumbles, or creamy mozzarella balls if you prefer to create a heartier salad. Zucchini is often an ignored vegetable as many do not find it flavorful and do not care for the texture. By buying small, firm zucchini and summer squash, then grilling them quickly until they get a nice char, you both keep them from becoming mushy, and give them a lovely smoky flavor. Add halved, sweet cherry tomatoes, some torn fresh herbs, then dress everything with a splash of good quality extra virgin olive oil and a drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar and you’ll have a dish the entire family will love.
Deborah Mele 2019
- 2 Pounds Assorted Small Zucchini & Summer Squash
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Divided
- 2 Cups Halved Cherry Tomatoes
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Aged Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Torn Fresh Mint Leaves
- 1/4 Cup Torn Fresh Parsley Leaves
- 1/4 Cup Torn Fresh Basil Leaves
- Preheat grill too high heat.
- Halve the squash lengthwise, and then brush cut sides with olive oil.
- Grill the squash first cut side down for 5 minutes, then turn and grill another3 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, then coarsely chop the squash into pieces and place in a bowl along with the tomatoes and fresh herbs.
- Toss, then season with salt and pepper.
- Place in a bowl and drizzle with remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar then serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 60mg Carbohydrates: 10g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 6g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g