We visited the Prosecco road in Veneto last month and enjoyed some fantastic meals while we were there. After one lunch in between visiting local cantinas to tour and taste Prosecco, we splurged and ordered a dessert to share after our meal. We rarely order dessert, so we chose carefully and ended up selecting a warm apple cake made with ground almonds and served with a scoop of vanilla gelato on top. The cake was incredibly moist and tender and chock full of thinly sliced apples. The homemade gelato was a perfect complement to the warm cake, and after the first bite, I declared to my husband that this is one dessert that I just had to duplicate at home.
You can use any baking apples such as Jonagold, Honeycrisp, Braeburn, Winesap, Fuji, or Pink Lady. I used Fuji apples in my recipes as they were available at my local grocery store. You want an apple that will hold its shape when baked so you can see all the thin apple slices when the cake cut. I used a finely ground almond meal or flour, but you can make your own by processing blanched almonds until very, very fine. To serve this cake, vanilla bean gelato is a wonderful compliment, or you could serve with a dollop of cinnamon-spiced whipped cream. I was offering my cake to friends for breakfast, so I just lightly dusted it with powdered sugar.
Deborah Mele 2019
- 4 Baking Apples, Peeled, Cored, & Thinly Sliced
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar, Divided
- 3/4 Cup Unsalted Butter, Melted & Cooled
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 Cups Almond Flour
- 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 Cup Whole Milk
- 3 Large Eggs Yolks At Room Temperature, Beaten
- 3 Tablespoons Sliced or Finely hopped Almonds
- Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a 10-inch springform pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the eggs along with 4 tbsp sugar at medium speed until light in color, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla, and beat a minute or two until blended.
- In another bowl, stir together the two flours, remaining sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon until blended.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg and butter mixture alternately with the milk, and beat after each addition just until blended.
Remove 1 cup of batter, and whisk together with the three egg yolks.
- Stir the apples into the 1 cup of batter and egg yolk mixture, reserving about 1/2 cup of apples slices for the top.
- Spread the egg and apple batter into the prepared pan, then top with remaining batter.
- Arrange the remaining apple slices in an attractive manner on top, then sprinkle the top with the chopped almonds or almond slices.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out cleanly. (Cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil if it begins to brown too much.)
- Cool 15 minutes, then remove from pan.
- Let cool completely, then dust with powdered sugar, slice and serve.
Adapted from French Apple Cake by BakedFromScratch.com
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 448Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 4gSugar: 42gProtein: 8g