We are quickly moving through the month of February, and I can now imagine spring arriving in just over a month. That may sound surprising since we’ve had yet another snowfall overnight, but I am an optimist and am dreaming when our backyard forest is covered in shades of green again, and not a blanket of white. Even though spring is still pretty far away, we’ve really had a relatively mild winter with minimal snow accumulation which has been nice. Our chickens seem so confused over the mild winter temperatures this past month though, and they have all started to lay again! This week the temperatures drop to below freezing again though, which is more typical of January and February, but it has been such a mild winter, I really can’t complain. My chickens might complain though!
I am always looking out for easy, great-tasting recipes that I can use when entertaining, and these sweet berry gems are perfect. Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and these sweet treats would be great for any Valentine’s Day celebration. Whether you are throwing a large get-together for friends or an intimate family dinner, this easy treat would be perfect. These stuffed berries can be prepared ahead of time, which is always a great help when entertaining, though they are best the Day that you make them. You will need strawberries on the larger side, and it is best to choose ripe, unblemished fruit. I topped my berries with shaved chocolate pieces. Still, a drizzle of melted dark chocolate would also taste and look fantastic. I am parting this recipe to serve four, but it is very easy to double or even triple if needed. A small melon baller, or even a small measuring spoon works best to scoop out the center of the berries.
Deborah Mele 2020
- 12 Large, Ripe Strawberries
- 1 (8 Ounce) Package Cream Cheese, At Room Temperature
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Dark Chocolate Shavings
- Cut the top off of each berry, and enough off the bottom to allow the berries to stand on its own.
- Use a melon baller or small measuring spoon to scoop out the center of each berry.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla until smooth and and creamy.
- Fill a pastry bag with a fluted tip and fill the berries.
- Sprinkle the berries with the shaved chocolate.
- Refrigerate until serving, then place on a platter and enjoy!