We are all trying to settle into our new normal, and one way I keep myself feeling grounded is to prepare meals from scratch, especially comfort food. We recently had another cold spell, which always has me craving soup. There is nothing better than a big bowl of hot soup on a cold day! This is an easy soup that you can pull together in under thirty minutes using canned white beans.
This soup is hearty enough to serve for dinner as a main course with a big mixed salad and a loaf of crusty bread, but it is also excellent as a filling lunch option. If you wanted to make this soup even heartier, you could add some sausage that you brown first before adding the other ingredients. Do not skip the addition of lemon from this recipe as it really brings this soup to life!
Deborah Mele 2020
- 1 Tablespoon Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2 Stalks Celery, Finely Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Teaspoons Freshly Chopped Thyme
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chili Pepper Flakes (Optional
- 1 Head Escarole, Washed, Dried, & Roughly Chopped
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 6 Cups Low-sodium Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 2 (15-oz.) Cans Cannellini Beans, Drained and Rinsed
- 1 Parmesan Rind
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil.
- Add the onion, and celery, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, and red pepper flakes (if using) and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add the escarole and stir until wilted completely.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the broth, beans, parmesan rind and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and stir occasionally, mashing some beans (about 1/3 of them) in the pot to thicken soup.
- Let simmer 15 minutes, then stir in lemon juice.
- Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese before serving.
Adapted from Delish.com.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 661mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 13gSugar: 7gProtein: 13g